[Subject] [Date] [Moderator] Home

['Aalim Network QR] Mujtahid (How to become one)?

The reply to the following question was kindly provided by Dr Liyakatali
Takim.

Regards

Abbas Jaffer

Assalam Alaykum wa rahmatullah hi wa barakatahu,
I'm a 20 year old Indian student presently in the united states.I feel
I'm not fulfilling the purpose of my life completely by just trying to
make a name for myself in the modern world.I also want to deeply educate
myself in the principles of islam.I want to become an Mujtahid of the
Ahlul Bait Jaaferi school of thought.I have to study and work in the
UNITED STATES in order to fulfill my family duties. so I'm unable to go
to one of the Hauz-e-Ilmiyas to study under a teacher. I would like to
find out if there is a way for me to study the various subjects that a
Mujtahid has to have knowledge of through books and guidance of any
teachers or mujtahids here in the united states. I understand that one
needs a Certificate from one of the theology schools to be recognized as
a Mujtahid.Is there a way that I can study similar to distance learning
and be able to fulfill my goal? please advice me in this matter.

Salaamun 'alaykum,

Attaining the level of ijtihad requires many years of study and research
work under the proper guidance of the ulama'. Most of these courses are not
available here in the west, nor can one study to be a Mujtahid from this
distance.

In the West, you can take some courses to familiarize yourself with the
introductory study of Islam. These are available at such places as the
Hawza in Medina and various places in England.

These courses will enable you to undertake further research work in the
Hawda should you choose to pursue the field of ijtihad.

With salaams and du'as

L. Takim

Back: ['Aalim Network QR] Mujtahadeen- Education and Qualifications
Forward: ['Aalim Network QR] Mujtahid (How to become one)? [Follow-up]