[Subject] [Date] [Moderator] Home

['Aalim Network QR] Khums on Gifts

Salaam Alaykum.

The following has kindly been provided by Al-Haj Mulla Asghar.

wa salaam,

I have recently become engaged and my engagement is due to last about
a year.  My parents have begun to buy things towards the wedding and
our married life, my question is when are these things liable to
khums, because they are for the wedding they will be unused, so, do I
have to pay khums on them when they are a year old or when my khums
date arrives?

I thank you for your help in this matter,

Wasallam

--
ANSWER:

There is no Khums on gift.  However, if cash is received as gift, and it
remains unused till the end of year, or a part of it, then there is
Khums on the balance unused.

Asgharali M M Jaffer

Back: ['Aalim Network QR] Khums for Non-Sadat - Follow Up
Forward: ['Aalim Network QR] Khums on Haram Expenses