Narrators of Hadith al-Thaqalayn of Sixth-Twelfth Century
In al-Khwarazmi, al-Manaqib. A leading scholar of his era. 1
225. Abu al-Fadl Muhammad ibn Tahir ibn ‘Ali al-Shaybani al-Maqdisi, known as Ibn alQaysarani (d. 507/1113).
In his biographical account in al-Maqrizi's al-Ta’rikh al-muqfa, it is mentioned that he wrote a book Kitab tariq hadith: Inni tarikun fi kum al-thaqalayn. An eminent scholar. Tawthiq by al-Maqrizi in al-ta'rikh al-muqfa.
In Firdaws al-akhbar (MS). A scholar well-known to biographers.
In Masabih al-Sunnah (Sharh by al-Qadiri, v, 593, 600) from Zayd ibn Arqam and Jabir; in Ma’alim al-tanzil, vi, 101, vii, 6; and in Sharh al-Sunnah, as mentioned by al-Khalkhali in al-Mafatih. An eminent scholar.
In Ibn ‘Asakir (Ta'rikh Dimashq, ii, 45) from him. Tawthiq by al-Sam’ani and al-Dhahabi. 2
In his Majma’ al-ghara'ib fi gharib al-hadith.
In Ibn ‘Asakir Mu’jam shuyukhih (MS., F. 205). He was Ibn ‘Asakir's teacher.
In al-Hamawi (Fara'id al-simtayn, al-simt al-thani, bab 55) from him. A well-known scholar of his age. 3
Ibn ‘Asakir in Mu’jam shuyakhih (F. 11).
Al-Khwarazmi (Maqtal al-Husayn, i, 104). Tawthiq by Ibn al-Jazari. 4
In al-Jam’ bayn al-Sihah al-sittah, MS. A leading traditionist.
In Sibt ibn al-Jawzi, Tadhkirat khawass al-ummah, 322-323. Tawthiq by al-Sam’ani, al-Salafi and Abu Sa’d. 5
In al-Fa'iq fi gharib al-hadith, i, 170. A great scholar, philologist, grammarian, traditionist, exegete and man of letters.
In ‘Aridat al-ahwadhi, xiii, 73.
In al-Shifa' bi ta’rif huquq al-Mustafa (al-Qari's sharh, 485, 657-658). A leading scholar, traditionist, grammarian and historian of his era. 6
In his book Zayn alfata fi tafsir Surat Hal Ata, MS. from Abu Dharr and Zayd ibn Arqam.
In his exegesis al-Muharraz al-wajiz fi tafsir Kitab Allah al-Aziz, i, 34. Scholar, exegete, faqih, grammarian, traditionist and man of letters. 7
In al-Hamawi (Fara'id al-simtayn, simt 2, bab 55). Tawthiq by Ibn al-Jawzi. 8
In his al-Manaqib with his isnad from Zayd ibn Arqam.
In al-Khwarazmi (Maqtal al-Husayn, i, 104) from him, from Abu al-Qasim Zahir ibn Tahir al-Shahhami al-Mustamli al-Nishaburi. Tawthiq by al-Jazari. 9
In his book Lubab al-albab fi fada'iI al-Khulafa' wa al-Ashab, bab 4, F. 147, MS. 3912 in Maktabah Nur ‘Uthmaniyyah and MS. 3343 in al-Maktabah al-Sulaymaniyyah in Turkey.
245. Abu al-Qasim ‘Ali ibn al-Husayn ibn Hibat Allah al-Dimashqi, known as Ibn ‘Asakir (d. 571/1175).
In Ta'rikh Ibn Kathir (v, 208) and al-Kanji in Kifayat al-talib. One of the great traditionists and historians.
In his Tatimmat Ma’rifat al-Sahabah, appended to Abu Nu’aym's book, and as mentioned by al-Sakhawi; al-Samhudi, Ibn al-Athir (Usd al-ghabah) and Ibn Hajar (al-Isabah). Tawthiq by al-Dhahabi, al-Sam’ani, Ibn al-Najjar, al-Tha’alibi and others. 10
In his al-Kitab al-mubin fi fada'il al-Imam Amir al-Mu'minin, MS.
248. Siraj al-Din Abu Muhammad ‘Ali ibn ‘Uthman ibn Muhammad al-’Ushi al-Farghani al-Hanafi (d. after 569/1174).
In his Nisab al-akhbar Ii tadhkirat al-akhyar, as mentioned by al-Dawlatabadi in Hidayat al-su’ada'. A leading scholar of his age. 11
249. Abu al-Faraj ‘Abd al-Rahman ibn ‘Ali ibn Muhammad, known as Ibn al-Jawzi (d. 597/1200).
In his al-Musalsalat.
- 1. Ibn al-Wardi,Tatimmat al-Mukhtasar, ii, 31.
- 2. Al-Ansab, under 'al-Mazraqi'; al-Dhahabi, Ma`rifat al-qurra' al-kibar, i, 391.
- 3. Al-Wafi bi al-Wafayat, iii, 28.
- 4. Tabaqat al-qurra', i, 288.
- 5. Tadhkirat al-huffaz, iv, 1282; Tabaqat al-huffaz, 464.
- 6. Wafayat al-a`yan, iii, 152; Tatimmat al-Mukhtasar, ii, 72; Tabaqat al-huffaz, 468.
- 7. Ibn Farhun, al-Dibaj al-mudhahhab, ii, 57.
- 8. Al-Muntazam, x, 162; Tadhkirat al-huffaz, 1289.
- 9. Tabaqat al-qurra', i, 204.
- 10. Tadhkirat al-huffaz, iii, 1334; Tabaqat al-Shafi`iyyah, vi, 161; aI-Tha`alibi, Maqalid al-asanid; Wafayat al-a`yan, iii, 414.
- 11. `Abd al-Qadir al-Qarashi, al-Jawahir al-mudi'ah, i, 367.