Ask A Question About Islam And Muslims
Why was Maula Ali (as) not able to correct during his rule the changes in Fajr Adhan, divorce rules, and Taraweeh that were introduced by caliph 'Umar?
Imam Ali (AS) has removed the deviations which were created by the previous three rulers of Saqeefah as he clearly declared that they have deliberately changed the Sunnah of the Prophet (SAWA). He removed the discrimination between Arabs againt non Arab Muslims and between Quraish tribe against other tribes etc.
Imam Ali (AS) suffered a lot from the hypocrites and Quraish tribe who were against him and against his reforms. They took the name of Umar as a slogan against Imam Ali (AS). They asked him in the month of Ramadan to appoint for them a person to lead Taraweeh. He clearly said that it is a Bid'ah away from the Sunnah of the Prophet. They insisted and gathered in the Masjid of Kufa. He sent his son Imam Al-Hasan (AS) to stop them from Taraweeh, but they shouted loudly ( WA SUNNATA UMARAAH)(Where is the Sunnah of Umar?). It reached to a critical point of civil disorder among Muslim society. Imam Ali (AS) had no choice but to leave them to do what they want to save the Muslims from turmoil. You can find details in Sunni books like Sharh Al-Nahj by Ibn Abi Al-Hadeed , V. 12, P. 283 and Tareekh Al-Tabari V.4, From page 281 onward.
Shia books like Wasaa'il Al-Shia , V.5 P. 193 has also mentioned some details of this matter.
While trying to learn more about Islam I read about two people named Umar, Umar ibn al-Khattab and Umar ibn Saad. Are they both names of the same person or are they different?
Umar ibn Al-Khattab is different from Umar ibn Sa'ad. Umar ibn Al-Khattab is the second ruler of Saqeefah after Abu Bakr. Umar Ibn Sa'ad is the leader of the army of Yazeed who killed Imam Husain (AS) and his companions in Karbala.
Yes. It is a fact admitted in main Sunni books that Umar ibn al-Khattab ran away from Uhud and Hunain and Khaibar.
2. Saheeh Al-Bukhari, V.5, P.101.
3. Fat-h Al-Bari Fi Shar-h Saheeh Al-Bukhari by Ibn Hajar, V.8, P. 29.
4. Omdatul Qari Fi Shar-h Saheeh Al-Bukhari, V.17, P. 299 .
5. 'Awn Al-Ma'bood , V.7, P. 275.
6. Al-Budayah Wal-Nihayah by Ibn Katheer.
7. Al-Seerah al-Nabawiyyah by Ibn Katheer , V.4, P. 264 and V. 2, P. 89 and V.3, P. 51.
8. Seerat Ibn Hisham, V.2, V. 415.
9. Soyouti in al-Dorr al-Manthour , V. 2, V. 88 narrated from Umar himself how he ran away from the battle of Uhud.
11. Kanzul Ummal by al-Muttaqi al-Hindi, V. 2, P. 376.
12. Great Sunni books of Tafseer like Al-Fakhr al-Razi (9:51) mentioned this fact.
13. Ibn Asakir in Tareekh Dimashq , V.24, P. 396.
14. Al-Hamawi in Mo'jam al-Boldan , V.4, P. 173.
15. Al-Salihi al-Shami in Sobol al-Huda , V.4, P. 206.
16. Al-Waqidi as narrated by Ibn Abi al-Hadeed, V. 15, P. 22.
17. Al-Haakim al-Nisabouri in al-Mustadrak 'ALAL-Saheehain, V.3, P. 40.
18. Al-Mussannaf by Ibn Abi Shaibah, V.7, P. 396.
19. Al-Albani Nasser , the well known Wahabi Shaikh in his book Erwaa' al-Ghaleel, V.5, P. 53.
20. Majma' al-Zawaa'id by al Haithami, V.6, P. 136.
I have heard that Umar Ibn Khattab introduced Muharram as the first month of the Islamic calendar whereas earlier Rabiul Awwal used to be the first month. Is this true?
Yes. Hijri (Islamic) calender never started from Muharram because Hijra of the Prophet (SAWA) started in Rabiul Awwal and not in Muharram. Muharram was the start of the year of pagan Arabs before Islam. Umar ibn Al-Khattar was the first who brought it among Muslims.