The splendor of the Islamic Revolution and the role of Imam Khomeini’s personality, views, thoughts, and literary works in the occurrence and perpetuity of the Revolution; the need of the future generation for the works of the founder of the Islamic Republic and standard-bearer of the global Islamic movement; the publication and propagation of the authentic and complete works and thoughts of His Eminence; and the prevention of historical distortion of the Islamic Revolution were among the factors which prompted Hujjat al-Islam wal-Muslimin Haj Sayyid Ahmad Khomeini to inquire through an elaborate letter about His Eminence’s view on the manner of studying, compiling and publishing his own works and related documents, and to determine the authority in supervising and ascertaining the authenticity or otherwise of whatever is to be published in the name of Imam Khomeini both in Iran and abroad.
In his reply in the form of a written decree dated September 8th, 1988 [Shahrivar 17, 1367 AHS], His Eminence assigned the responsibility of compilation and collection of all materials relevant to him to his own son, Haj Sayyid Ahmad. In consonance with this decree, the Institute for Compilation and Publication of Imam Khomeini’s Works was established and has commenced its activities. The heart-rending event of the demise of the Imam of the Muslims and the burgeoning need of the Islamic society to obtain His Eminence’s guidelines and literary works have compelled this Institute to expand its realm of activities qualitatively and quantitatively.
Along this line, the law on the preservation of Imam Khomeini’s works was enacted by the Islamic Consultative Assembly (the Iranian Parliament) on November 5th, 1989 [Aban 14, 1368 AHS] and approved by the Council of Guardians as binding and ready for execution. In this manner, pursuant to its momentous religious and legal mission, this Institute has embarked on planning and modifying its organizational structure within the framework of the following objectives:
1. Collection of all related documents and literary works of Imam Khomeini as well as all works relevant to his personality, life, struggles, and thoughts written by writers or made by artists both in Iran and abroad;
2. Permanent preservation of the aforementioned documents and works through the most appropriate means;
3. Study and research on the literary works for the elucidation of the history of the Islamic Revolution, Imam Khomeini biography, and compilation, translation and preparation of the literary works’ compendium for publication;
4. Publication of the literary works’ compendium through various means both in Iran and abroad, and propagation and dissemination of the Imam’s thoughts and ideals;
5. Perpetual supervision of everything written or made by artists in the name of Imam Khomeini; prevention of distortion of the Imam’s speeches, writings, and events related to the Imam; giving replies to the inquirers and researchers on the literary works as the official center for the collection and preservation of the documents and works of the Imam.
In order to attain the above-cited objectives, the main programs and activities of this Institute can be divided into the following five areas:
a. Collection of the documents and works, which include (i) collection of documents and works of Imam Khomeini; (ii) collection of all works related to the Imam’s biography, struggles and thoughts written or made both in Iran and abroad;
b. Permanent preservation of the documents and works;
c. Study and research, translation, compilation, and preparation of the works for publication;
d. Publication of the works and continuous revival and propagation of the thoughts and school of thought of Imam Khomeini;
e. Supervision: Consonant with the decree of the Imam and enactment of the Islamic Consultative Assembly, the Institute is the sole official source of whatever is to be published in the name of Imam Khomeini.