Traveling in Ramadhan
• If you travel before zuhr from home-town, then you can’t fast. You have to do qaza later on; there is no kaffarah for missing the fast due to traveling.
• If you travel after zuhr from home-town, then you should fast normally on that day.
• While returning from a journey, if you reach your home-town before zuhr, then you can fast on that day provided you did not eat or drink anything on the return trip. In this case, you will do the niyyat after arriving to your city.
• If you stay at the destination less than 10 days, then you can’t fast. You have to do qaza later on and, remember, there is no kaffara in this case.
• If you stay at the destination 10 days continuously, then you should fast normally.
• If the continuity of ten days is interrupted by a side trip, then you cannot fast; you will have to do qaza later on; and, remember, there is no kaffara in this case.
• If you are a “frequent traveler,” then you should fast normally even while traveling.
“Frequent traveler” means a person:
1. whose work itself is traveling (e.g., driver, pilot),
2. whose work involves traveling (e.g., salesperson, consultant),
3. whose work place is more than 24 miles from the city limits of the home-town.